Friday, May 11, 2018

mount airy playground

Every time we drive by this playground my kids ooh and aah at its popping display of color and beg me to visit sometime.

I'd grown increasingly curious about this playground as well, since it wasn't popping up on Google Maps. What was this mysterious place?

My husband said it was a school once upon a time. But there was no school listed, either. This past week I finally pulled into the lot of the mystery playground. My kids were psyched. We were finally going to check out Mount Airy playground (690 Jackson Street, Saint Paul), the park on the hill.


Here's what you need to know:
Parking: Lot
Age range (playground): 3+
Sidewalks: Paved to the playground
Seating: A few benches around
Bathrooms: None
Picnic tables: None
Grills: None
Sports field: Baseball field, basketball court, open field


It wasn't until my kids were running around the playground and I was catching my breath when I saw the sign: Mount Airy Boys and Girls Club. So that's what this place is, I thought to myself.

I saw all the kids running around and the mentors perched around the play area before I realized, Oh shoot, this is a boys and girls club! Was I intruding on something? If I was, the staff were kind enough not to kick me and my kiddos off the premises (thank you!).


The play area has plenty of upper-body-heavy challenges like monkey bars and jungle gyms of sorts. The playground has a few slides and a neat little bridge.

While Zoey (16 months) could climb the stairs up the playground and walk across the bridge to get to the slides, she wasn't very comfortable navigating the rest of the playground. The older two (4.5 and 3) avoided the monkey bars but had fun across the rest of the play area.


There's a little sphere into which kiddos can climb and get spun around. Attached to the smaller jungle gym is a mini climber (we're talking 5-6 notches) that Zoey had fun scaling.


While this park is in a less-friendly neighborhood, I was glad to have the company of the kids and staff at the club. They definitely made my visit more enjoyable. I'd encourage you to visit during after-school hours if it's just going to be you and your kiddos.

Since this is a boys and girls club, I believe the facilities (such as the bathroom) are for attendees only. Plan either a short trip or have your kids use the rest room right before visiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment