Header

Sunday, January 17, 2016

the attack of the guilty conscience

Recently I've been wanting to re-watch The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings movies. I've been singing "I See Fire" and getting goosebumps just thinking about the Lonely Mountain and Middle Earth. My fingers have been itching to pop in my Blue-Ray, extended-edition, collector's copy of the LOTR, but there's just one problem:

I have kids.

What are my kids going to do for 30 hours? (I've recently added "Watch all of the LOTR bonus features" to my bucket list.)

Folks, this isn't an easy problem to solve. Because those kiddos aren't going anywhere for another 18 years at least.

To be completely honest, I've been a great present but absent parent lately. I wanted people to tell me I could slack off as a mom and get away with it--and I found people who did.

And then I told God so and so said it was okay to do what I wanted and waited to hear Him chime in that He agreed.

He didn't.

I knew that was coming, right? God's always gonna set me straight. My gut knew it was wrong, but my brain just wanted to see if I could get away with it.

I can't.
I can count on God to set me straight. [tweet]

Are you in this boat with me? Trying to weasel your way out of what you know you have to do because you're
   lazy
   bored
   tired
   busy
   selfish?

I am--because of all those reasons and more. You?

Even though it's January and 2016 is still so fresh and exciting and new, if you're like me, maybe you're already in a slump. Not backsliding. Just not moving. Or, I should say, moving but in the wrong direction.

You know what God's calling you to do, but you're trying to find some way around it. Not because you're disobedient--goodness no! You're quite the obedient child. You're just trying to be efficient, resourceful, and productive...

Mhmm, I feel ya. I try to be those same things.

The problem is, if we're not doing what God's called us to do, we are being disobedient. Not doing what's right is doing what's wrong.
Not doing what's right is doing what's wrong. [tweet]

So if you haven't set a resolution for this year yet--or if you have but don't have this one on your list--I've got one for you.

And honesty, I think it'll be the only one you need:

Do what's right.

That person you've been upset with, that situation you've been avoiding, that lie you've been feeding--

Do what's right.

"People have a guilty conscience because they're guilty"1. That thing that's been keeping your stomach tied up in knots--
Do what's right. [tweet]

I know you know what's right. And if you're still on your way to Tarshish, I'll leave Moses, James, and Paul to guilt you into the belly of the fish:

"Do what is good and right in the Lord’s sight so it may go well with you," Deuteronomy 6:18 ISV

"So then, if we do not do the good we know we should do, we are guilty of sin," James 4:18 GNT

"And let us not get tired of doing what is right, for after a while we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t get discouraged and give up," Galatians 6:9 TLB

braving life together,


NOTES
1 Why You Act the Way You Do, Tim LaHaye