Header

Tuesday, December 22, 2015

the caged bird doesn't really sing

I stood at the edge, lingering. Stomach in knots. Heart pounding. Throat dry. Breathing easy isn't easy before the plunge.

Jesus, if I jump, will you catch me?
Every. Single. Time.

Jesus, if I jump, will you catch me?
Every. Single. Time.

Jesus, if I jump, will you catch me?
Every. Single. Time.

This has probably been the scariest year of my life. I finally kicked my fake self out on the streets and told her to scram. I finally started saying no to my fears--and yes to God.

No more people-pleasing and perfectionism. No more trying to keep my life together. No more being scared of not fitting the mold.

Just learning to love Jesus and allowing His love to change me, even if that means looking like a messed-up fool to everyone else.

That last part is the hardest part. My pride won't surrender itself that easily. Eowyn said it best: "I fear a cage."

A cage meant for all who don't fit. A cage that they will put me into and keep me in. A cage that will turn me into someone I never hoped to be. A cage that will define me because its bars are more resilient than I am.

Maybe you fear a cage, too. You would rather fit in than stick out, so you go with the flow, get washed out, and turn up used on some beach to dry out...Which, at the end of it all, you realize was a cage in itself.

Your life is too precious to be swept up and carried away by the current. Your life shouldn't be restricted to a cage. Your life is worth more than that. Just ask Jesus. He paid for it.

Friend, a new year is coming. I want to leave you with the message God's pressed into my heart so firmly this year.

Set the pace for your life.

Define what success looks like in your life. Break out of the mold. Live out your passions. Be honest about who you are and the life you live.

And don't apologize for sticking out like a sore thumb.
Don't apologize for sticking out like a sore thumb. [tweet]
I'm on a journey toward letting my life be a living testimony of God's power. I pray that if I show you how broken I am, you'll find the courage to show me how broken you are. That in our brokenness, we could be brave together.

Jesus, if I jump, will you catch me?
Every. Single. Time.

all the glory to God,