Header

Saturday, December 5, 2015

i see crappy people

I'm not the type of person to get scary angry often. But when I do, it's kind of like Pompeii all over again. Not many living things survive.

Growing up, when I was at my angriest, there was this one line I used to say: "I'm gonna beat the crap out of you." And even though I always emphasized the "crap" part--because, if you know me, I think some people have too much of it--the real emphasis was on the "beat" part.

Because, if you know me, I'm a physically aggressive person, and if I hadn't grown up in the good Christian home I did--thank the Lord--I would have beaten people up. To a pulp--no, to pulp free.

I would get so mad at some people that I would want to beat the crap out of them. Some part of their person insulted me to the point of exasperation, at which nothing but a crime of passion could remedy the offense.

Ironically, this summer I realized that everyone is full of crap. Pride, fear, lust, lies, worthlessness, denial--everyone is full of a lot of it. Which makes something like marriage--living with another crappy person forever--hard to do.

A good person loving a crappy person is hard to do. There's a lot that needs loving, but there's love to go around.

A crappy person loving a crappy person is just a recipe for disaster. There's a lot that needs loving, and there's not much love to go around.

Friends, we are not good people. But we love a God who is good enough for us. He's completely good in all He does and who He is. He's so good that His goodness overflows unto us, into our lives, and into the lives of those we love--if we let it.

Marriage is a commitment to loving the crap out of one another. A crappy person loving a crappy person, loving and loved by a good God, testifies to the greatness of that God.
Marriage is a commitment to love the crap out of one another. [tweet]
Regardless of how strong we are, there's no beating the crap out of anyone. As convenient as that would be, it can't be done. We can only love the crap out of one another, because love alone makes room for the imperfect.

learning to love with you,