Header

Monday, December 7, 2015

busy bee meets cool cat

There are two types of people: those who eat to enjoy food and those who eat because their survival depends on it.

More often than not, I'm the latter kind of person.

It's not that I don't like food; I love it. It's the eating part. It just takes so much time. The cutting up, putting in your mouth, chewing--especially this part, and swallowing. And then the doing-it-all-over-again-until-the-food-is-gone part.

But the worst part? You have to use your hands. Sometimes both of them.

So really, eating is an exclusive, all-consuming activity that's made less tedious only if there's some good food sitting in front of you.

Who has time for that?

Someone should invent a machine that feeds people so that we don't have to stop working (or playing) just to eat.

But let's be honest: I wouldn't be able to afford it anyway. So I guess I'm left with learning how to enjoy eating. I would never get to it on my own, though, so God sent me a life-long accountability partner to make sure I did.

My husband. If anyone knows how to have a good time, it's this guy. I thought I knew how to have fun before I got married. As it turns out, I only had boring fun until I met Yeng.

He knows how to have fun fun.
He knows how to enjoy life.
He doesn't just smell the roses. He's sitting in the rose bush.

Yeng's been spending the last four years teaching me how to kick back and enjoy the ride. How to "waste time" by having the time of my life "doing nothing" like playing board games (you should really look into those). And Type A extremist like me has actually come to like it. I've come to find it biblical.

Psalm 34:8 says, "Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him."

On my own I was only seeing that the Lord is good. But God wants more than for us to only see His goodness. He wants us to experience it. To be deep in it, alive to it, overwhelmed by it.

Taste and see that the Lord is good.

Slow down. I know you're trying to hold your life together, to keep it presentable. For a moment, get caught up in God and how He's promised provide the money, time, strength--faith--for whatever it is coming your way. Life is more than juggling the craziness of work and school and kids and spouse.

Life is experiencing the grace of God through it, and praising Him for His faithful goodness.

Taste and see that the Lord is good.

with much love,