Header

Saturday, November 21, 2015

when Gandalf believes

You know that crazy-blind admiration kids have? The IT'S-SO-FLUFFLY!!! kind of adoration that only kids have (those beautiful, innocent minds).

There were two people I crazy-blind admired for years...Okay, fine, decades. I was nineteen years old when the blinders finally fell off. 

My parents. 

That's right: my fierce, fearless Dad and my prayer-warrior Mom. They were the "it" couple in my book. 

But there was this one thing they said that used to make me cringe: "One day, you'll be better parents than we are." It made me cringe for two reasons:

One, I thought they were perfect. I knew they had flaws, but my die-hard love for them shrugged off their weaknesses.

And two, I couldn't imagine being better parents than they were. You see what I mean by crazy-blind admiration?

Now as I look back, I shake my head at silly young me and I look at my parents with even deeper respect than before. Wishing your kids greater success than your own? That takes a lot of humility. But it sows some darn good seeds in those little hearts.

I've been sharing attributes that I want to cultivate as a mom. In addition to investing in my kids without constraint, empowering my kids without fear definitely makes the list.

When my parents looked at chubby, pre-pubescent me and told me I was going to be a greater person than they are, it was pretty much like Gandalf telling Bilbo he was going to be a robber on the most epic journey of the 21st century (which led to the next most epic journey of the century, of course).

The great wizard chose to believe in an ordinary hobbit, and that made all the difference

While we aren't ageless, magical beings (although that would be nice, wouldn't it?), we still yield that kind of life-changing power. Believe it or not, our belief in our kids makes a difference in their lives.

Let us nurture their passions and hobbies, stimulate their sense of wonder, and encourage them to reach for their dreams.

Let us support and challenge them to use their God-given gifts for the Kingdom.

Let us believe in them, equip them to discover the world, and release them to do so.

And as we watch them go, whether to day-care or abroad, let us entrust our children to the Lord and pray for His blessing over them as they learn to make their faith their own.

God has wonderful plans in store for our kids. Let the journey of the century begin.

sincerely,