Header

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

and the greatest of these is...

I'm gonna get a little graphic here.

and the greatest of these is • walk humbly Madeline isn't potty trained yet. Since we're home most of the time and because it saves on wipes, I wash her bottom after she poops.

On more than one occasion, I caught myself thinking, "I shouldn't have to do this. This is disgusting,"

Or, in other words: "I shouldn't be the one who has to clean her poop. I'm too good for this."

Goodness, someone please set this mama straight.

Each time I catch myself saying that, though, I immediately think to Jesus washing his disciples' feet. And I shake my head at myself, because I have just deemed myself worthier than Christ.

Too worthy to be wiping poop.
Too worthy to be a servant.
Too worthy to be classified with Jesus.

Goodness, someone please set this mama straight.

Here I am, doing what a mama has to do while complaining because I don't get a gold star for it. And there's Jesus, doing what he doesn't need to do without complaint because He's doing it for the good of his disciples.

I can't get over my oh-so-impressive self to serve my little girl with a God-glorifying attitude.

That's a cold slap to the face.

I can become a mom who invests generously in her kids, empowers them selflessly, connects honestly with other believers, endures all things faithfully, and prays diligently--but I still miss the mark if I don't become a mom who walks humbly with God.

In one of my first posts I wrote about how walking with God isn't just about coming and going. We can end up in wonderful places, but God isn't interested in getting us places. He's interested in going there with us.

Let it be that our most passionate prayer is not to become parents who do great things, but parents who love a great Person.

and the greatest of these is • walk humbly Only from loving our God can we learn to embrace 5am mornings, enjoy ten-minute naps, appreciate washable paint, and laugh at our perpetual lack of punctuality.

Only from loving God can we find courage to push onward as we declare God's promises in our lives.

Only from loving God can the mayhem that summarizes our lives and the unshakable faith that breaks through it testify to the matchless God we serve.

It's our conviction in His goodness that brings abundant richness to our lives, and it's the abundant richness of our lives that draws others to His goodness.

May you rejoice over the reality of His blessings.

together in Christ Jesus,