Header

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

up, up, up...and away

More often than not, I forget I'm not superwoman (newsflash, right?). I know I'm no superwoman, no supermom, no super anything. I never have been, never will be. Yet I still get mad at myself for not being superwoman.

Worse than getting upset with myself, I beat myself down for it. I'm not a good enough wife, mom, daughter, sister, person because I can't do everything the way I want to...It's amazing the lies we can believe about ourselves, and how silly they can sound in retrospect.

Last week I started writing about five elements that, when worked into my daily routine, keep me in the center of God's peace. This series kicked off with the supremacy of God in our lives (covered in the original post) and continued with the authority of the Word over our lives. Today I want to add the third element to the list: the nature of the person.

If you're anything like me, maybe you expect yourself to be superhuman, too, regardless of how impractical, unrealistic, unattainable and silly that expectation is (and we have to admit, it's all of those). But our TLC tanks can't be filled unless we understand and nurture who we are as people.

We're not superhumans, but we're more than skin and bones. Unless we acknowledge these limits on both ends--and care for ourselves as if we were people (because we are)--our personal growth is limited1. And if we as parents aren't growing, the kids we raise are likely to follow our lead...and stop growing as well.

In the New Testament, Mark breaks down the nature of the person for us. He presents the person in four domains. Stay tuned to find out what they are. You might discover what I'm realizing: that nurturing these four domains and committing them to Christ usher in the abundant life for us and our families.

sincerely,


NOTES
1 Applied Anthropology: Domains of Application, Van Willigen, p. 2