Header

Saturday, October 31, 2015

the power of family

What was your favorite part of growing up? Now that you're living on your own, married maybe, with kids maybe, divorced maybe. What did you love most about your childhood?

For me, it was my family. Not just the seven people who kept the house filled with noise and activity, but the other people whom I saw regularly, with whom I cried and laughed and worked alongside.

Family is people I grew up loving and grew to love.

Family is more important than I knew growing up. It's more important than I know I know right now. It's the backbone of God's design for salvation for the world. It's the gateway into the Kingdom.

I've been writing about five values that I'm learning to hold closer, more dear. Five values that I've found I must respect in order to function in accordance to God's call. The first was God's sovereignty, the second the Bible's authority, and the latest one was the nature of the person.

If you haven't guessed already, the next value is family. Not simpy making "family time" happen more, but honoring the intended purpose of family. We're definitely getting the "go forth and multiply" part of family down (Gen. 1:28), but missing the mark on the "exist as a blessing" part (Gen. 12:1-3).

God started his family with the Jews in the Old Testament and expanded it through adoption in the New Testament with Jesus. Whether we're long-time Jews or recent additions to the family, God chose his family members to be the objects of His love and generosity. He commissions us to go out and show others, by how we live, the greatness of that love generosity1.

Even though we're less-than-perfect parents raising less-than-perfect kids, God still uses us to show the world His love (He's that powerful!). So long as we remain available to God for His use, God can work past our shortcomings to bring glory to Himself by how we relate as family members within and beyond the family.

"But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve...But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD" (Jos. 24:15).

sincerely,


NOTES
1 Romans, Bruce, p. 184