Header

Friday, October 30, 2015

reeeeeeach

If there's one thing I remember from Old Testament History, it's that the Israelites were stuck in the wilderness for ages. Generations, really.

They kept doing things that God told them not to do: worshiping false gods, marrying pagan wives, and giving up on the Lord. (They also did a good deal of doubting and complaining, which didn't help get them into the promised land any sooner, either.)

So for forty years, they wandered about the wilderness around and outside of the good land God had promised them.

Reading about these rebels back in freshman year, I would just shake my head. All they had to do was obey God and the promised land was theirs. It was that simple.

Oh, my naive freshman mind.

Two kids in, re-reading Deuteronomy, I got caught up on this passage. Because God only lets the obedient enter the promised land. Because the disobedient wander around in the wilderness. Because God demands all of us, not just most of--some of, a little bit of--us. Nothing else makes the cut.

Because I've been dreaming of the promised land but stuck kicking rocks in the wilderness. Because I'm struggling to love God more than I love my family.

"The whole commandment that I command you today you shall be careful to do, that you may live and multiply, and go in and possess the and that the Lord swore to give to your fathers" (Deut. 8:1).

God's calling us to dream big. Don't just live. Multiply. Don't just enter this land. Possess it.

Reach for the promised land. Reach for a life overflowing with milk and honey. We don't have to reach perfectly. We just have to reach.

"Teach me, Lord, the way of your decrees, that I may follow it to the end. Give me understanding, so that I may keep your law and obey it with all of my heart" (Ps. 119:33-34).

sincerely,