Header

Saturday, October 10, 2015

musings in the wilderness

Parenting is one of the hardest things we will ever do. Maybe because we never stop doing it once we start. Maybe because we're not raising robots but little humans who think, feel, and operate all on their own. Chances are it's a combination--and the fact that we ourselves are human, which only adds to the rich complexity of parenthood.

I used to think that there was only one right way to be a good parent. Two years into parenting and I can tell you that the answer is yes--and no. That yes, there is only one right way to be a good parent; but no: that one right way isn't a set of right actions; it's a right relationship.


We have the most crucial leadership development position there is: growing kids. Not merely raising them, but nurturing them in such a way that reflects God's character and plants seeds for future Christ-like leaders. We work with the most important people in God's kingdom, on loan to us from the Father Himself. That's a big responsibility.


God is showing me the importance of my role as a mom. I wish I could convince you right here and now how crucial you are in setting the pace for your child's life. How your words, actions, and lifestyle inform your child's view of God and the world He created. But I can't. As much as I would love to, I can't give you a passion for God-honoring parenting. That's for God to give and for you to discover. I pray that you do.


He has called me into the wilderness on a journey toward God-honoring parenting. And just like the Israelites, I'm doing a lot of wandering and doubting. But I believe that I'm entering a land overflowing with goodness. My desire is that I will embrace this journey, and that you would come with me.


sincerely,